Sunday, June 28, 2009

Running with Stuff

Tonight I'm running the Clawson 5K in Michigan. I'm much more prepared this time than I was the last time. Especially because now I know a little bit more about what to expect. Last night I ate my pasta and protein and I iced my shins and stretched real good. I'm starting to get excited, but I only have a few more hours till I have to head down there.

My goal for today: to finish in less than 30 min 24 sec (my time at the Red Cross 5K).

I think that my mom is going to come with me - which is exciting. The air is a LOT different here in Michigan. I didn't notice this as much until I started running. I ran two miles yesterday and it made a difference - it was a little bit harder to breath. It'll be interesting to see how my body handles this after the 2 mile mark.

In order to take my mind off the race tonight I thought I'd share some of my fun stuff I've collected to help me with the running and even encourage me to want to run. I've always been a fan of "stuff", ever since I was little. I like "things" that are cool - even if they are slightly unnecessary sometimes and you better believe I've managed to find a lot of cool "things" that have really helped me with my running.
Here they are:


This is by far, the coolest "thing" I've found. It's a little sensor that goes in your shoe and has a receiver that you hook up to your iPod. You can pick workout times or distances. Then you select a playlist to go with your workout. Once you start running it keeps track of everything. Time, distance, calories burned, and even pace. It gives you voice updates throughout your run, such as, "One mile completed" or even "Congratulations, you have reached your half way point. 2.5K left." In the settings you can choose to have a man or a woman's voice for the updates. My favorite part about the Nike + sensor is that you can program it to play your "power song" at the push of a button. You pick a song that really pumps you up or gets you motivated and when you push the center button it automatically plays that song. GREATEST THING EVER! My power song: Inside the Fire by Disturbed. The sensor also keeps a record of your workouts so you can use them again. It also keeps a history of everything you've done and records your personal bests. Yesterday when I finished my two miles I got a message that said, "This is Tiger Woods. Congratulations, you have just completed your fastest mile to date." Not only was it awesome to get a message like that from Tiger, but it was motivating to get that feed back after a run. I am a beginning runner and someone who needs a little motivational boost throughout my run and this "thing" has helped incredibly. If you haven't already tried running with the Nike + sensor, I highly recommend it.


If you decide to purchase and use the Nike+ Sensor you will find out that it is made specifically for the Nike+ shoes. The Nike+ shoes has a little cutout in the sole of the shoe, underneath the liner for you to insert the sensor. However, I decided to go with a pair of Asics shoes which are not compatible with the Nike+ sensor. But, thanks to companies that make lots of cash off of after market products, Chisco has made a shoe sensor pouch. You just slip the sensor into the pouch, attach it to your shoe laces, and off you go. I had to callibrate my sensor with the pouch, because I found that the distances were a little off, but not that it's been calibrated it works great! Wether you choose to buy Asics shoes or "Target Special" shoes, you can still run with the Nike+ sensor. (I should be getting paid for promoting this shouldn't I?)


This is for sure the second best "thing" I've bought. It's a little watch that you wear while you run. It not only tells you the time, but it doubles as a remote control for your iPod. I found it hard to change the songs or the volume while it was in that little pouch on my arm. (see this is one of those "things" that's not really necessary, just cool) It's kind of a hassle while you are running. Well, fear not! Nike has solved all those problems. It even has a button for your Power Song and another one to hear a voice up-date about your progress through the run. This is deffinitly not a necessity, but it's really cool. Plus, I also wear mine in the airport when you are traveling with lots of stuff and pulling out your iPod to change the song is just way to much work. Or maybe I'm just lazy. Either way - you should get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment