Wednesday, June 24, 2009

One Foot in Front of the Other

I've been hesitant to actually admit that I was training to run. In some way I felt that if I said it outloud, it'd make it real and if for some reason I wasn't successful I'd be responsible for my own failure. Well - I decided I want to take responsibility. Mostly because it's turning out to be much more successful than I had anticipated. I'm really truly enjoying it. I am going to embrace this new found joy (and not to mention pain).

The reason I originally started running was because I have been accepted to Women's Regional Camp. It's a 6 day officiating camp for 12 women from the eastern region. You begin each one of these days at 7am with a 2 mile group run. When I found out about that I knew I was in trouble. I started running and working out for camp about 3 months ago - at which time I was contimplating suicide after an almost 1/2 mile jog.

My thought process went something like this: Instead of training to run only 2 miles I'll train to run 3 or 4, that way when I get there all the crazy amounts of skating won't effect how well I can run 2 miles. Hey - why don't I register to run a 5K (3.some miles) about a month before camp. Yea good idea.

Well - that's what I did. Last saturday (dispite my strong anti-morning beliefs) I got my ass out of bed at 5:30am to run 3.10685596 miles (exactly). Turns out my friend, Sean, happened to be running the same 5K. So, in serious need of some moral support, I took him up on his offer to go to the race together. So now not only am I about to run my first 5k, but I'm going to run it with a really good looking guy, who's way more experienced than I am in the running department. Great idea - what was I thinking?! I was so worked up and excited the night before that I slept, at most, 2 hours. I woke up super tired, really hungry, and extra nervous/excited.

Despite all my running, and working out I haven't managed to lose more than about 7lbs. Which is without a doubt a result of my shitty eating habits and the ADD nightmare that grocery shopping is, but at least we've put a stop to the gaining weight. One thing at a time. SO - I already feel a little uncomfortable in my spandex running pants (which, by the way, I adore spandex - I can't run in those goofy little shorts - the elastic waist band ends up around my ribs and it leads to a very uncomfortable situation) but now they tell me they will be taking pictures during the race!! Taking pictures of me running distances I have yet to feel comfortable with, in my spandex I have yet to feel comfortable in, sweating like a pig. So here I am - with my big #123 on my stomach - extra worked up - they keep pushing the start time back 7:00am . . . 7:10am . . . 7:15am . . . And here is Sean, all cool and collected, shirtless and ready to run. Finally somewhere around 7:25 we started the race.

The few days before the 5K I had been working through some serious shin splints. Which I'm convinced are trying to sabbotage my running. When I first started running they were so bad, that I couldn't walk or skate. I iced and Aleve'd and stretched and bought good running shoes. I keep working through them, but everytime I add distance or time they come back. Icing, stretching and Aleve have become a regular part of my day. I bought some compression sleeves for my shins that are a miracle. (Thank you Runners World.)

And here we go; no sleep, not enough food, shin splints, rediculously humid and hot day, way to early in the morning, watching Sean and the other runners get smaller and smaller as they race further and further ahead of me.

It was terrible. After the 2 mile mark I really thought they'd have to carry me over the finish line on a stretcher. But I was determined not to stop. That was my ONLY goal: To finish the race without walking. Run the entire 3.10685596 even if it took me an hour, just DON'T stop. I think I sweat more that morning then I have in my whole life. It was pouring down my face. I was sweating in places that I didn't even know you could sweat. I felt gross and exhausted and then around the corner I see this guy taking pictures with a big 'ol lens (and I know about big 'ol lenses) - I made my best attempt to angle myself behind another runner in the hopes of avoiding his camera. A little further up the path I noticed a table with big orange gatorade jugs, and people handing out cups to the runners (and walkers) in front of me. For a moments I remember thinking maybe I was just seeing things.

Now - there must be some trick to drinking water from those little paper bathroom cups. Because both times I ended up with an ocean in my nose and coughing/choking inbetween gasping for air. If anyone knows the trick - please share.

Let me just say that before this day I wasn't aware that a 5k was more than 3 miles. So when I saw that 3 mile marker I was absolutly thrilled. I reminded myself of a quote that I can't exactly remember, but it says something about finishing strong. So I picked myself up and powered through that last orange cone - only to realize that none of the runners infront of me were stopping at the cone. At this moment I felt my body want to shut down, as if it thought I had been tricking it this whole time and it had just caught on to the joke.

After pleading with my legs to keep moving, I ended up finishing in 30 min and 24 seconds - a personal worst. I do have to admit that it helped to have someone I knew at the finish line. Seeing Sean standing there was like an extra bit of "don't give up you're so close." Sean finshed the race in 25 min - his personal best.

After the race they gave out the awards and surprisingly called my name for 3rd place in my age group. Sean said there were probably only 3 people in my age group, but I chose not to ask. I figured it'd be better for my confidence to think that maybe there was at least 4 people in my age group. I told my mom about the 3rd place news and her response was, "Are you sure it's not a participation ribbon?"

About an hour and a half after the race ended I finally stopped sweating. I slept for 7 hours when I got home. Sean said that every race is a learning experience. From this race I learned that I need to sleep more and eat better before the next one. I learned that even though the pain is almost too much to handle during the run, that it will be over eventually. I learned that as independent as I am, it was really awesome to have someone to run with (even tho I was 5 min behind him I still knew he was there. Maybe one day we can actually run together). But most importantly I learned that I really could do it - I really did do it. I set out to do it and I did. And in the process I found something that I truly enjoy, more than I ever thought I would.

I actually look forward to my nightly run now. I've decided that I want to run a 10K and maybe even a half marathon. Baby steps toward big dreams. I'm running another 5K this coming Sunday in Michigan. Now that the first time nerves are gone hopefully this one will be more successful. Plus, it's also at 8pm instead of 7am. Much more my style. I am no longer stressing over the 2mile Regional Camp group run, which is an amazing feeling, to now I can concentrate on the skating and the officiating side of camp.

My new goal: Disney Race for the Taste 10K - October 11th.







No comments:

Post a Comment